Former President Donald Trump responded to Jeff Zucker announcing on Wednesday that he was leaving the company after he failed to disclose a relationship that he was having with a colleague.
“Jeff Zucker, a world-class sleazebag who has headed ratings and real-news-challenged CNN for far too long, has been terminated for numerous reasons, but predominantly because CNN has lost its way with viewers and everybody else,” Trump said. “Now is a chance to put Fake News in the backseat because there may not be anything more important than straightening out the horrendous LameStream Media in our Country, and in the case of CNN, throughout the World.”
“Jeff Zucker is gone—congratulations to all!” Trump concluded.
Zucker had said in a statement that he was resigning effective immediately, saying, “As part of the investigation into Chris Cuomo’s tenure at CNN, I was asked about a consensual relationship with my closest colleague, someone I have worked with for more than 20 years.”
“I acknowledged the relationship evolved in recent years. I was required to disclose it when it began but I didn’t. I was wrong. As a result, I am resigning today,” he added. “I came to CNN on January 28, 2013. Together, we had nine great years. I certainly wish my tenure here had ended differently. But it was an amazing run. And I loved every minute. I am grateful to the thousands of incredibly talented CNN and Turner Sports employees who helped make this such a joy for me, and such a success for all of us. I wish each of you nothing but the best in the years ahead. With gratitude and much love.”
Industry insiders responded to the news by suggesting that there was more to the story than the current details that had been released:
- Matthew Belloni, reporter: “Potentially important: I’m told CNN received a litigation hold letter recently from Chris Cuomo lawyers, demanding, among other things, preservation of all communications between Zucker, comms chief Allison Gollust, and Andrew Cuomo.”
- Megyn Kelly, journalist: “Zucker’s relationship with Gollust went on for years, and what he did to keep her near him (as he kept advancing her up the line) will be even more stunning to the CNN news room.”
- Joe Concha, The Hill: “People inside the building already have busy thumbs and there’s much more to this Zucker story that goes well beyond a consensual relationship with a colleague. A few folks close to the former CNN president should be very nervous right now.”
- Sean Davis, The Federalist: “Zucker didn’t get fired for screwing a staffer. He was given the opportunity to resign for screwing a staffer in lieu of being fired for something far worse. This is CNN, y’all. The network still employs a Zoom masturbator as its top legal analyst. It has zero standards.”
- Steve Krakauer, reporter: “Everyone who needed to know about Zucker’s relationship with Gollust already knew. So the question is what JUST happened, and – perhaps most importantly – what else there is, that resigning immediately will keep from getting out.”
The Daily Wire is one of America’s fastest-growing conservative media companies and counter-cultural outlets for news, opinion, and entertainment. Get inside access to The Daily Wire by becoming a member.