Last updated on June 27, 2022
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) faced backlash online Sunday over a tweet about “forced” pregnancies which comes after the U.S. Supreme Court overruled the unconstitutional Roe v. Wade decision last week.
The tweet from Ocasio-Cortez came as she also claimed without evidence during an interview on NBC News’ “Meet the Press” with host Chuck Todd on Sunday that several of the Supreme Court Justices who voted to overturn Roe v. Wade “lied” and suggested that they should be impeached from the bench.
“Forced pregnancy is a crime against humanity,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted.
Notable responses to Ocasio-Cortez’s tweet included:
- David Harsanyi, The Federalist: “This is some truly Orwellian s**t.”
- Ed Whelan, Distinguished Senior Fellow and Antonin Scalia Chair in Constitutional Studies: “Someone is very confused by her own deceptive euphemisms. The pro-life position opposes ‘forced pregnancy.’ No one wants to force anyone to get pregnant.”
- Stephen L. Miller, political commentator: “Would love her definition of the word humanity.”
- Seth Dillon, The Babylon Bee: “AOC stands atop a mountain of millions of dead babies to say it’d be a crime against humanity to stop adding to the pile.”
- Mickey White, political commentator: “I feel like we need to revisit our Health and Sex Ed curriculum. People don’t seem to understand where Babies come from anymore.”
- Jennifer Van Laar, Red State: “Use birth control. Only have sex with people you’re prepared to have a child with. Yes, there are birth control failures and terrible things like rape. Those are the exceptions.”
- Nick Searcy, actor: “Show me a forced pregnancy that doesn’t involve rape or incest, for which exceptions are already made, liar.”
- Brittany Hughes, MRC TV: “Forced pregnancy is when you rape someone until they become pregnant. And it’s illegal. Carrying a child you conceived through your own choices is called responsibility.”
- Joe Pagliarulo, radio host: “Does she think rape is legal? It’s a violent crime and I think rapists should be executed. Did she think the tweet would somehow divide us?”
- The Quartering, Youtuber: “These people act like a bolt of sperm is sent down from above that impregnates innocent women just walking down the street.”
- Kurt Schlichter, attorney: “Oh shut up you nitwit.”
- Sebastian Gorka, radio host: “AOC’s never heard of contraception. Not surprising since she’s never seen a waste disposal. And was surprised that vegetables grow in the ground. … Right. But killing 800,000 babies a year – disproportionately black babies – isn’t, right [cupcake emoji]?”