Welcome back to Education Insanity, a weekly column updating you on the most insane events taking place in our nation’s schools. Here we’ll delve into the growing presence of critical race theory, the ideology that claims that America is irredeemably rooted in racism, and “woke” culture.
Let’s get started.
10. UVA Med School Under Fire For Expelling Student Who Questioned Microaggressions – Washington Free Beacon
A group of Congressmen sent a letter to the University of Virginia Medical School Dean David Wilkes over the expulsion of a student who questioned the validity of “microaggressions.” Four Congressmen asked Wilkes to meet and discuss the punishment of the former medical student. The representatives called the university’s expulsion of the student “incredibly concerning.”
9. Toronto School Board Requests Queen Victoria Public School Change Name Citing Queen’s ‘Racist Legacy’ – True North
A Canadian school board’s Planning and Priorities Committee submitted a request on behalf of the school council’s Black Student Success Committee insisting that the city of Toronto rename Queen Victoria Public School, citing the Queen’s alleged “racist legacy.”
8. UT-Austin Students Plan Graduation Walkout Over ‘Eyes Of Texas’ Song – The College Fix
Graduates at the University of Texas-Austin are planning to walk out of the university’s commencement ceremony for the continued use of the song “Eyes of Texas.” Some students believe that the song is racist, though a research committee concluded that the song will remain the school’s official song for lack of sufficient context supporting racism in it.
7. Upstate New York School District Puts Fourth-Graders In ‘Restorative Justice Circles’ As Part Of New Race-Based Curriculum – The Daily Wire
Fairport Central School District near Rochester, New York, released a new curriculum that puts fourth-graders in “restorative justice” circles to talk about racism. Nine-year-olds will be taught about how racism is deeply embedded in the Rochester community, and encouraged to partake in activism.
6. Scholar Booted From APA Discussion Group After Suggesting There Are Only Two Sexes – The College Fix
John Staddon, a professor of psychology and neuroscience at Duke University, was taken off of an APA listserv after he posed questions about the nature of biological sex. According to Staddon, the post that got him removed read: “Hmm… Binary view of sex false? What is the evidence? Is there a Z chromosome?”
5. Watch: 10-Year-Old Boy Obliterates School Board’s Mask Mandate – The Daily Wire
A 10-year-old boy gave an impassioned speech to a Florida school board begging the council to end the district’s in-school mask mandate. The young boy recalled one teacher who yelled at students if they lowered their masks to take a sip of water outdoors. He called the rules an example of “hypocrisy.”
4. Watch: South Bend School Admin Boots Police From Elementary School – Real News Michiana
An administrator at Coquillard Elementary School in South Bend, Indiana, kicked a police officer out from a routine walk-through because she did not feel comfortable with police being in the school building to act as peacekeepers.
3. Teacher Caught On Video Berating Vaccinated Student For Not Wearing A Mask – The College Fix
A Wisconsin teacher was placed on a leave of absence after berating a student for refusing to wear a face mask, though he claims to be vaccinated. The teacher called the student a “little dink,” a “jerk,” and told him that “nobody likes you.”
2. Oregon Department Of Education Drops $50,000 On Nikole Hannah-Jones ‘1619 Project’ Webinars – The Daily Wire
The Oregon Department of Education paid $50,000 for two webinars with The New York Times’ 1619 Project author Nikole Hannah-Jones. The education department used resources from the “Every Day Matters” program — a program designed to help routine truants — to pay for Hannah-Jones’ lectures.
1. Virginia School District Shells Out Nearly $50,000 For Survey Crafted By Race Consultants – Parents Defending Education
The Fairfax County Public School district in Fairfax, Virginia, shelled out $49,600 to conduct an “Anti-Bias Community Engagement Policy” survey. The survey was crafted by a New York City-based diversity, equity, and inclusion firm called Leadership Academy.
Got tips? Email me here: email@example.com
The Daily Wire is one of America’s fastest-growing conservative media companies and counter-cultural outlets for news, opinion, and entertainment. Get inside access to The Daily Wire by becoming a member.